Healthcare is a vitally important and complex topic. This December, we launched the inaugural Healthcare Focus Week for the Coro Fellows Program in Public Affairs.
Our goal is that the Coro Fellows will emerge with a fundamental knowledge of local, state, and federal approaches to health. Specifically, Fellows will:
- Understand the role that government, nonprofits, labor, and businesses play in providing and administering health care to diverse populations.
- Understand the social determinants of health.
- Understand fundamental issues, processes, instruments and roles involved in financing healthcare.
- Identify essential questions that civic leaders should ask about the delivery of healthcare services.
- Be able to incorporate knowledge of healthcare into discussions during and after Coro.
During this in-depth learning week, Fellows will conduct extensive background research and site tours, and will interview these healthcare experts:
- Erica Murray, MPA, President and CEO, California Association of Public Hospitals.
- Naveena Bobba MD, MPH, Deputy Director of Health/Deputy Health Officer, San Francisco Department of Public Health.
- Shannon McConville, MPP, Senior Research Associate, Public Policy Institute of California.
- Kimi Watkins Tartt, Director, Community Health Services Division, Alameda County Public Health Department.
- Ronald Browder, Director, Department of Environmental Health, Alameda County.
- Godfrey Wilson, Executive Director, Los Medanos Community Healthcare District.
- Lauren Pollini, Director of People Development, One Medical Group.
- Dr. Claire Horton, MPH, Chief of Staff, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center.
- Dana Williamson, MPH, Lead Consultant, Community Benefit Programs, External and Community Affairs, Kaiser Permanente.
- Peter Long, Senior Vice President of Health Care and Community Transformation, Blue Shield of California.
- Anthony E. Wright, Executive Director, Health Access.
- Dionne C. Miller, MPH, Chief Operating Officer, Kaiser Permanente.
- Carolyn Wang Kong, MPH, Chief Program Director, Blue Shield of California Foundation.
- Greg Garrett, MPH, Chief Operating Officer, Native American Health Center.
- Dr. Kim F. Rhoads, MD, MS, MPH, Director, Office of Community Engagement, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Tammy Fisher, MPH, Senior Director, Center for Care Innovations.
- Veenu Aulakh, MSPH, President & CEO, Center for Care Innovations.
Focus Week Sponsor: Blue Shield of California
We thank Blue Shield of California for their signature sponsorship of the Coro Fellows Program inaugural Healthcare Focus Week.
Stay tuned for more news from the Fellows!